What do you do when faced with so many decisions that need to be made? In my world right now, I have a ton of decisions to make and they are hitting me all at the same time. Why? I know the scripture about God won’t give me more than I can handle, however, my load is getting heavier and heavier.
Unfortunately I usually get anxious before I allow the peace to calm the storm. Sometimes it’s a good anxiety, but right now, with the adjustments I’ve had to make with recent medications, I can’t really rely on my mind to make sound decisions at times. But I do have a little list of what I do when times are so hard like this.
1) I call a trusted friend. I ask if I can unload and I ask for prayer. Today I had the opportunity to meet with two very special women. We just melted into each other’s hearts and shared our sadness and our joys. I was able to let it all go and I trust them to continue to pray for my needs.
2) I call my mom. She is 81 years old and the wisest woman on the planet. I can pretty much share with mom about anything. I can cry, laugh, share concern and she will always reply with “I will say a little extra prayer for you. Things always have a way of working out.”
3) I chat with my oldest daughter. Although most can’t share with their children, I certainly can. My oldest daughter is probably the 2nd most-wisest woman on the earth and she can make the unhappiest person laugh. She has such an infectious comedy about her.
4) I head into my prayer closet (any place alone with God) and just chat with Him. I tell Him everything that is going on and trust that he has the answers for me.
5) I get into the Word. There’s nothing like reading the Bible when things are off-set in my life. I love to be reminded of the struggles of the men and women of the Bible and how God followed through with His promises. Look at Sara and having a child. I look at the provisions for Ruth, the Israelites in the wilderness heading to the Promised Land; Paul being set free, Jonah being sent out of the belly of a whale, Isaac not having to be sacrificed and how a ram appeared right in the nick of time. I am reminded of Joseph and his coat of many colors and the list goes on and on. God is about keeping His promises, so digging into the Word Keeps me grounded, focused and hungry for answers and peace.
Psalm 119:41-46 HCSB…Let Your faithful love come to me, Lord. Your salvation, as You promised. Then I can answer the one who taunts me, for I trust in Your word. Never take the word of truth from my mouth, for I hope in Your judgments. I will always obey Your instruction, forever and ever. I will walk freely in an open place because I seek Your precepts. I will speak of Your decrees before kings and not be ashamed. I delight in your commands which I love. I will lift up my hands to Your commands, which I love, and will meditate on Your statues. oops, I went to verse 48 but its soooooo good.
What do you do when you feel the load is just a little bit too heavy?